Capture video on your computer with your webcam
Here are some tips for recording your own webcam and/or screen. This would be for PRE-recording a segment, and then uploading that file, not for going live in the moment.
Choose your method
If you need to capture BOTH your camera feed (with audio) AND your screen recording,
skip to the Screen Recording section.
If you only need to record your webcam (with audio), choose from one of the options below:
If you are using a Windows (PC), skip to the Windows section.
If you are using a Mac, skip to the Mac section.
1) Open the ‘Camera’ App. This can be done by accessing the Start Menu and typing in ‘Camera’
2) With the Camera App open, open the settings tab by clicking the cog/gear icon in the upper left-hand corner of the window. Under ‘Video Quality’ ensure that you are recording at the highest setting possible. For most cases this should be ‘1080p 16:9 30fps’
3) If needed, choose which camera to use by clicking the Camera Switch icon in the upper right hand corner.
4) If needed, access the ‘Sound Settings’ options by accessing the Start Menu and typing in ‘Sound Settings’, then click the icon that pops up. In this window, under ‘Input’ you can change the default microphone and test to confirm that there is signal being received.
5) Select the video record function by clicking the icon shaped like a video camera . Press this camera icon again to start recording. When you have finished press this camera icon again to stop recording.
6) Your recording can be found by default in your ‘Camera Roll’ which can be accessed at the following file path: C:\Users\‘username’\Pictures\Camera Roll.
1) Open the ‘Quicktime’ App. This can be done by finding it in your application bar or by pressing Shift+Space and typing in ‘Quicktime’. Once open, begin a new recording by selecting ‘New Movie Recording’ from the ‘File’ drop-down menu.
2) Select your camera and microphone source by right clicking on the record icon (red circle). Ensure that the recording quality is set to high.
3) To begin recording, press the record icon once. When you have finished your content, press this icon again to stop recording.
4) To save your recording, navigate to the ‘File’ drop-down menu and select ‘Save’ or press ⌘S. Select the destination to save to from the popup menu.
For highest quality recording when capturing both camera and screen, you can use a third party software called 'Loom', among others. This is a straightforward recommendation. Another option is to use Zoom, with which you are likely familiar.
Our instructions for using Zoom are listed below:
1) Open the ‘Zoom’ application. When open navigate to the settings menu by clicking the cog/gear icon in the upper right hand portion of the window.
2) In the ‘Video’ tab, ensure that ‘Enable HD’ is activated by clicking the check box next to the item. In the 'Recording' tab you see or change the location on your hard drive where local recordings will be stored.
3) Start a new meeting. Once you are in the new meeting, you can select your audio and camera source by clicking on the caret (^) next to the camera and microphone icons.
4) To begin recording, press the record button on the bottom bar and choose ‘Record on this Computer’.
5) To stop recording, press the ‘Pause/Stop Recording’ button. When you end the meeting, the file location of your recording should pop-up in a new window. You can also find your recording at the file path specified in your recording settings.